Sunday, February 20, 2011

Asking The Right Question

Flee evil desires and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace.
2 Timothy 2:22


"What does God want from me?" Have you ever asked yourself this question? I ask myself this all the time, and I come up with plenty of answers and hear plenty of answers from others. I feel like I spend a lot of time trying to give God what He wants and a lot of time feeling like I fail. Even when I am doing the things I know are right, I feel like it's never enough. I could do more and do it better.

The best answer to the question 'What does God want from me?' is that it's the wrong question. The better question is, 'What does God want for me?' Why? Because the things He asks of me are ultimately for me.

Take for example the command Jesus gave to "Love one another. As I have loved you, so must you love one another." (John 13:34) This can be a difficult road. Forgiveness, patience, sacrifice, and persistence may be involved. And often we simply don't have it within ourselves to love as God loves. So why would He ask me to do such a thing? Why set the bar so high? Just to set me up for failure? Does that make Him a loving God?

No, it doesn't. But this does: To love others as God loves me, I must experience God's mercy and love for myself.  I must recognize how patient, forgiving, persistent, and sacrificial His love is toward me before I have any hope of loving others that much. His love for me is the source of the peace and joy I can have no matter what is going on around me. And when I find myself in a place where I am not loving others as I know I should, God doesn't say to me, "You have failed." He says, "You need more of My love. Come to Me, and I will give you rest. I will give you more of My heart. I will make you more like Me." And loving others as God loves them, even when it's difficult, even when that love is not returned—ultimately I am blessed.

God wants me to trust Him. He wants me to believe and live by faith. But again, it's not about me living up to unrealistic expectations. It's not about setting me up for failure. It's not about what He wants from me, but rather, what He wants for me: peace, joy, hope, comfort, rest, purity, righteousness, goodness, and fellowship with Him.

David said, "Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh the joys of those who trust in Him." (Psalm 34:8) David knew what God wanted from him: He wanted his trust. But David was focused on why: for his own good. For the joy he could experience. David also said in Psalm 19, "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes."

God commands us to flee immorality, to get rid of lust, greed, malice, and fear. To pursue love, purity, and peace. To care for others and be generous people. Why? Because He wants these things from us? No, because He wants them for us. Holiness is not a goal to pursue, it is a gift to embrace. We can be like Jesus because He empowers us to be. And wanting this for myself is about opportunity and joy, not obligation.

What does God want from me? Nothing. What does He want for me? Everything. Everything good. He wants the same for you. Ask yourself the right question: What does He want for me?

No comments: