Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Extraordinary Gifts

12 Days of Christmas; Day Three



Have you ever received a gift for Christmas you will never forget? Something so extraordinary that no other gift could ever compare? I have received a lot of wonderful gifts over the years, and many I still have or enjoyed so much I could never forget receiving them. But one does stand out above the rest. And it was a surprise, even better!

Kevin and I dated for six weeks before he told me he wanted to marry me. After talking to my parents two weeks later, he officially proposed, and I was happy to say, 'Yes!' He couldn't afford a ring because we were working a volunteer job that summer, but he said he would get one for me eventually, and I believed him. I was content to wait. He surprised me with it on Christmas Eve, and I have that moment forever painted in my memory. Ah, romance. I think I've written a few books on that :)




But even more than the engagement ring my love gave to me, I see him as an extraordinary gift from my heavenly Father. A precious, priceless gift. I feel the same about my children and the life of ministry He has given us as a family. I am so grateful. I am beside myself with gratitude. I have been extraordinarily blessed.

I read a story this morning about a woman who was blessed by Jesus in an extraordinary way. Her only son had died, and she was a widow. Jesus "just happens" to be passing through her village on the day of his funeral, and He sees the procession taking her son to his grave. She is weeping. When the Lord saw her, his heart overflowed with compassion. "Don't cry!' he said. (Luke 7:13) Jesus proceeds to walk over to the coffin, touches it, and her son is restored to life.

This is certainly an extraordinary story, like many others Jesus was involved in.  We don't know much beyond the short and simple narrative given in these few verses in Luke. We don't know who this woman was or how her life was changed by this event. We do know the people who saw it were amazed and knew God had 'visited' them. The news about Jesus spread throughout the region.

Personally, however, I believe Jesus did it mostly for this woman. The love He had for her surfaced, and He was merciful. He gave her what she needed. He didn't want her to be sad. He wanted her to be happy, and He wanted her to know God saw her. He knew about her pain and despair, and He brought hope to a hopeless situation.

In reading this story I was reminded of another woman I read about last week. It was a story I had heard before. Elijah, an Old Testament prophet, went to stay with a widow who fed him on her last bread rations, and then her supply of flour and oil never ran out. Later her son also died, Elijah pleaded for his life, and God raised him from the dead. But I noticed something I hadn't before. After Elijah shows the woman her son is alive, she says, "Now I know for sure that you are a man of God, and that the LORD truly speaks through you." (1 Kings 17:24)

Okay, back up. She didn't already believe that? God told her He was sending one of His prophets her way, Elijah shows up, and she suddenly has an unlimited supply of food? That wasn't enough for her to be convinced? She needed more?

I'm afraid we're often the same way. God shows us His presence, compassion, and abundant love daily, but still we doubt. What extraordinary gifts are under your Christmas life-tree? They are already unwrapped, opened, and plainly seen. They're a daily reminder of God's faithfulness and love. Extraordinary gifts you did nothing to earn or can explain. But there they are. Are you convinced yet?



Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.  All rights reserved




No comments: