Friday, September 23, 2011

The Truth Will Set You Free

"He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.  When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."  John 8:44


Choices.  We all have to make them.  We make choices daily.  Some are minor and insignificant in the grand scheme of life.  What to wear, what to make for dinner, what book to read next.  (Well, that might be significant depending on the book.)  And then there are the more crucial decisions.  Choices we make at work that may be the difference between keeping our job or losing it.  How we treat other people and what we say to them.  (Our words and actions often affect others more than we know.)  Behavior choices are a biggie, i.e. doing the "right" thing.  And we often have to make a choice about what the right thing is.  Sometimes it's obvious, but other choices are more gray.

Most choices we face, however, aren't something we decide in the moment.  Many choices we make out of habit, because that's the way we've always done it, and we've never thought about doing it any different.  Or our choices may be rooted in our preferences.  (I wear pink a lot because I like pink and people say it's a good color on me.)  Or we make choices based on our beliefs.  I write daily because I enjoy it, but I also write because I believe it's something God has gifted and called me to do.  I also spend a lot of time at home with my family because I'm most happy here and because I value the time I spend with them.  It matters.  It's important.  I choose to do these things not out of spontaneity or mere habit, but rather because of the way I think on a deep level.  And most choices that we make, whether we realize it or not, we make based on what we really believe.

In John 8 we find a lengthy conversation between Jesus and some who claimed to believe in Him.  I'm not sure if they made some kind of outward display of their belief such as getting baptized or wearing their new Jesus Saves t-shirts, but somehow they express a desire to follow Him and Jesus challenges them on their sincerity.  First he offers them a promise.  He says, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.  Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."  Great news, right?  Well, some of them didn't think so.

"We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone.  How can you say that we shall be free?"


Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin...I know you are Abraham's descendants, yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word."

Jesus wasn't looking at them based on the outward faith they were proclaiming to have.  He was looking into their hearts.  What they were saying didn't match what they were thinking, and He knew that.  How?  His Father had told Him so.  "I am telling you what I have seen in my Father's presence." (vs. 38)  And He believed His Father over their own words of belief.  They thought they knew who He was and that they truly believed, but He knew better.

I think they were sincere to some extent.  They wanted to believe, but something was preventing them from doing so.  Jesus says that they couldn't believe because they didn't really know God.  They thought they were following their Father, Yahweh, whom their ancestors had followed, but they were instead following the father of lies, the devil.  "If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me?  He who is of God hears God's words, therefore you do not hear; because you are not of God."

So what does all of this have to do with making choices?  Everything.  To make right choices, we need to know the facts.  We need the correct information.  We need to know what God wants for us, and not only know it, but believe it.  God wants wonderful things for you.  He wants you to have peace and joy.  He wants you to enjoy the benefits of love--receiving and giving it.  He wants you to live in freedom from sin: from past sins and the regret or guilt involved, and to avoid sin in the first place so you don't have to go through the pain of negative consequences.  Jesus came to give us these things.  His Father sent Him to show His mercy and to teach us what is good and right and worth following Him for.  These are the facts.  Jesus spoke the truth.

"I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)


"I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word he will never see death." (John 8:51)


"If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." (John 8:36)

Believing the truth sets us free, but believing the lies of the enemy is a death sentence.  Listening to the lies of the devil chokes the soul.  It suffocates us.  What lies are you believing?  That you're not good enough, not valuable, and not loved?  That you can't escape the sin that has a hold on you?  That you're not forgiven and never will be?  That you can't make a difference?  That you're a failure?  That God's ways are not the best ways?  That He doesn't care about your needs?  That He will fail you?  That you don't matter?  That He won't answer your prayers?

Believing the father of lies leads to sin, fear. discouragement, despair, depression, guilt, pain, heartbreak, disappointment, and failure, or a feeling of failure.  (Be careful to distinguish between the two.)  If any of these feelings are all too familiar to you, take heart, you don't have to live under them another day, another minute, another second.  Believe God.  Don't believe the enemy.  'Resist the devil and he will flee from you.'  (James 4:7)  How do you know when you are believing the truth?  It will set you free, and you will know it.  You will feel the difference in your heart, and you will see the difference in the choices you make.  


"I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence."  He has told me what you need to hear.  I believe Him, and I wrote it.  I hope you're listening.



"The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy.  I have come that they may have life and have it abundantly." --Jesus


1 comment:

Dianna Hesselman said...

Melanie, I really liked your story! I was interupted by a phone call and wanted to hurry back to finish it and see if the boy had come to his senses yet! I loved the ending. So much like us trying to solve the problems in our lives without him, when He wants to be involved in it all!
Love, Dianna