Sunday, March 11, 2012

My thoughts are a bit scattered today.  It's been a busy week.  Some people live busy lives every week, but I try not to.  I take my time with life.  I don't have more on my plate than I can reasonably manage.  This week was busier than usual because it was my daughter's birthday on Thursday, and we had activities related to that on Friday and Saturday also.  I didn't mind.  The older my kids get, the more I want to cherish the special times, so having a three-day celebration of my "baby's" 12th birthday was fine with me.


But some other things came up too, and I'm feeling the drain of it all hitting me on Saturday night.  I'd like to go to bed and sleep, but I know I can't.  There's too much on my mind, so I'm sitting here writing and telling you about it!  Seriously though, I do have something I want to share.  In my daily reading of Jesus' words this week, I was reminded that He says to be "salt and light" to the world.  I hope that's what I do with my writing; and I hope I do that with my life.  Most things are easier said than done, but when the truth is believed and followed we are blessed, and so are those around us.  




In Psalm 23 David says, The Lord is My Shepherd, I have everything that I need.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul...


A follower of Jesus is content.


A follower of Jesus is at peace.


A follower of Jesus accepts refreshment and restoration.


...He leads me in paths of righteousness for His Name sake...


A follower of Jesus follows.  A follower of Jesus is obedient.  A follower of Jesus believes and trusts.


...Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.  Your rod and your staff, they comfort me...


A follower of Jesus does not fear the darkness.  A follower of Jesus is never alone in her disappointment, shame, failure, sickness, pain, and suffering.   She doesn't shut God out.  She welcomes His discipline, His guidance, His peace, and His love.


...You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil.  My cup overflows...


A follower of Jesus doesn't fight her own battles.  She takes refuge in her rescuer.  She receives grace, protection, blessings, and honor.  She doesn't live in defeat and shame and emptiness.  She lives as His beloved child.


...Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


A follower of Jesus believes in His goodness and love.  She believes that everything is for her good.  The glory of eternity outshines the trials of life. 




It's been a busy week.  It's had its ups and downs.  Its success and failure.  Its joy and sorrow.  Its clarity and confusion.  And next week will bring...


Whatever...I'm following Jesus.  He will lead me to those places of contentment, rest, refreshment, right choices, trust, rescue, goodness, love, and hope.  And that's all I need.  Just Him.  Just His grace.  That's enough.




May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace as you trust in Him, that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Romans 15:13)

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

That Psalm is one of my favorite, and I often repeat parts of it when I need encouragement. Especially the part - He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. He has promised to lead us and has signed His own name to it! That is a huge relief to me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in the night. If you are like me, sometimes the things in your head and heart won't leave you alone until they are spilled out on paper.

Your writing is encouraging and filled with God's truth.

Peace be to you...sleep well.
Charlotte