Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Solid Ground of Faith

Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith. (Hebrews 10:22)

Somewhere between worry and the land of promised peace lies a great chasm of fear and unbelief. We want to cross to the other side, but the distance between where we are and where God calls us to be seems too great. It's impossible to lay aside our thoughts of doom for ourselves or others, so we spend our days trying to control our circumstances and our nights worrying about what we will face tomorrow. It's an endless cycle of stress, busyness, and frustration when things don't go according to our carefully laid plans.

The gap between worry and peace need not be a leap of faith, however, nor like walking a tightrope where we close our eyes and hope for the best, trembling with fear in every step.  We don't even need wings to fly, where a strong headwind might blow us back or circling air currents carry us into a tailspin of despair and hopelessness.

What we simply need is the truth of God's words to enter our mind and settle our hearts. We need to be reminded of His promise to be with us and bring mercy. "I will be with you...I will not fail you or abandon you...Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you." (Joshua 1) "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest...Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." (Mark 6) "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God...those who oppose you will be as nothing...for I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand...for I myself will help you." (Isaiah 41)

These are merely a few examples of promises He spoke to those who had chosen to follow Him. Search His Word for yourself and you will find more; God will speak words of promise to you, and the great chasm of fear and unbelief will disappear. You won't have to take a scary leap of faith or walk a tightrope of terror to the other side. It will simply become solid ground to walk firmly upon into His presence, into His peace, and fully immersed in His love.

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go...I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised." (Genesis 28:15)

What has He promised you? (Leave a comment if you wish to remind yourself of the truth and to encourage others :)

2 comments:

Becky said...

Melanie, thank you for putting God's Word online for me today! He has promised to be with me, and He has never failed. I have been really struggling this week, so I know this reminder to simply let go and walk in His presence is a gift for me today!

Melanie said...

Someone shared this promise verse with me.

Isaiah 58:11 'The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.'