Sunday, December 29, 2013

Intangible Gifts

12 Days of Christmas: Day Eleven

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."  John 15:7-8


They say one of the best gifts you can give someone is the gift of prayer, and I believe that's true. Prayer is an intangible gift with tangible results. Prayer can change people's lives. I've seen prayer bring healing and restoration and amazing blessings. God listens to His people, and He responds. He is a personal God who is interested in the details of our lives.

But sometimes the solutions to our problems are not simple ones. Sometimes the change we want to see happen takes time. More is going on than we can see, and we may not know what to pray for. We don't have to know all the details to pray for someone, so don't let that stop you. Just pray and see how God answers. He always does what is best--even if we ask for a different outcome. We can trust Him on that, if we are willing to wait and don't lose hope.

Jesus speaks some interesting words about prayer in John 15. He is talking about the intimate nature of our relationship with God that calls us to a steadfast faith. A day-in and day-out faith where we 'remain'. Other words related to 'remain' are stay, abide, dwell, and live.  I like to write some of the phrases this way: "Live in Me, and I will live in you...this way you will bear much fruit. If you abide in Me and My words live in you, you will ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. This is to My Father's glory...Stay in My love. If you obey My commands you dwell in My love...I have told you this so My joy may be in you and your joy will be complete." (John 15:4-5, 7-11)

An intimate relationship with Jesus based on who He is, the words He speaks, and who He has made me to be changes my prayer-life. It makes me ask for different things: for others and myself. My prayers are more in-line with what God wants, and it causes me to truly see His Heart. I often ask God to change others, but then I remember I need to change first: my perspective, my behavior, my faith.

I cannot be a gift to the world otherwise; and that's how God works. Not just separately, but with all of our mess thrown together in the Refiner's Fire to rid us of impurities and produce lives of love, joy, peace; ongoing hope, generosity, virtue, faith, loyalty, humility, gentleness--controlled emotions, desires, and actions.

Those are the qualities I wish for myself, and I know My Father is happy to give them. They are intangible gifts with tangible results. And Jesus reminds me to ask, with the promise I will receive.


"'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.'" (Matt. 6:9-10)

No comments: