Monday, December 23, 2013

Unique Gifts

12 Days of Christmas: Day Nine

"She has done a beautiful thing to me."  Mark 14:6


Are you a unique-gift giver? Do you know someone who always gives unique, one-of-a-kind gifts? Have you ever received a gift you never imagined receiving? You may be smiling as you think of specific people and their gifts, or you may be rolling your eyes. Sometimes unique gifts are appreciated, and sometimes they're not, and sometimes they're just silly. Once at a white-elephant gift exchange, I ended up with a book titled, "How To Look For A New Pastor". Quite funny since I'm married to one. On a better note, two unique gifts I have received are this quilt my mother made out of leftover fabric from my wedding and this sweater my husband crocheted for me. (How many wives can say that?)

A few days ago I talked about a woman who gave Jesus a unique gift at a dinner-party. She anointed His feet with perfume and her tears. The host was disgusted with her act of worship, but Jesus appreciated it. He understood what she was doing and why she was doing it.

A similar story is told in the other three gospel accounts. This may have been the same woman at the same dinner, but told from a different point of view where we get more details; or it may have been a different woman, or the same woman, at a different time. We don't know for sure, but I'd like to focus on what Jesus has to say once again, and His reaction is similar in terms of accepting the woman's gift.

This time His words are directed toward His disciples. They criticize her for being wasteful of expensive perfume that could have better uses, but Jesus is focused on her thoughtfulness. We pick up the story as it is told in Mark 14:4-8:

Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year's wages and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me...She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare me for my burial."

Unique gifts are beautiful gifts. They may not be practical or useful or requested. They may be expensive or cost very little. They are not so much about the gift itself as the thought behind it. The heart of the giver and the heart of the receiver. They're personal.

I believe this can be especially true for the gifts we give to God and He gives to us. There are common gifts we give, such as money, time, and faith. And there are common gifts we all can receive--everyday needs, love, peace, and hope.

But when we give a unique gift to God, something others may not understand (if they even know), it's about the personal connection we can have with Jesus. Something we know He wants and will use in a special way. And when we receive unique gifts from Jesus, He is making a personal connection with us.

It may be a "spiritual gift" where God gives me the ability and desire to reveal Him to others in a way only I can do, or a specific opportunity He brings my way, and I give to Him and to others as I use my gifts; or it may be Jesus meeting a particular need for me no one else knows about, or could ever give, or comes at just the right time.

My prayer is for you to give and receive unique gifts this Christmas and in the coming year: to others and from others; to Jesus and from Jesus. You might want to make a habit of recording the unique gifts you give and receive. If you were to request a unique gift, what would it be? What unique gifts can you give?

Some things may come to mind immediately, or maybe you don't have a clue today. But when they come, you will know. Give freely and receive freely. It's a beautiful thing.




No comments: