Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's The Secret?

Then He opened their minds so they could understand... Luke 24:45

Do you ever wish other people would get what makes so much sense to you? Do you ever feel frustrated when you see others doing the same things over and over that you know just aren't going to work? Do you ever feel like you're talking to a brick wall? Do you ever feel like giving up on somebody?

I read words from the Bible like the ones above, and I say, "What's the secret? How did Jesus open their minds to understand what He wanted them to understand? Why? How? And is He ever going to do that for so-and-so? Do I need to shout louder? Pray more? Speak the truth differently?"

When it comes to opening the minds of others, a lot of waiting is usually involved. Even Jesus had to wait for that. He did a lot of teaching to a lot of people in a lot of different settings in a lot of different ways. He used illustrations. He used real-life circumstances. He used miracles. He used the Scriptures. He used stories. He used other people to declare His message. He showed them what compassion looked like. He showed them how to trust the Father. He taught them how to pray. He showed His love and His power through His death and resurrection. And when He came back to life, He went to those same people He had taught the most to and found them sitting around being more scared and confused than ever.

Hello, McFly? Is anybody home?

"John, Peter, Thomas? Wait, where is Thomas? He's not even here. Ei-yi-yi! I'm in my moment of glory here! Wake up! Open your eyes!"

Well, I'm not sure Jesus said it that way or was even thinking that, but I know I would have been. And I would have wanted to know the secret. I would have wanted to make everyone magically understand, and Jesus did that somehow. But I'm not sure how, or why, or why He did it in that moment.

Maybe someday I'll figure it out, but I do know this: It happened. That day came. When the time was right and Jupiter aligned with the will of God, it happened. And I think that's the one thing we can know. God will do it. Minds will be opened. Eyes will see. What seems impossible and hopeless isn't. What frustrates me today will eventually have its date with destiny. Because God never gives up. He never stops short of bringing someone to that moment of revelation. His truth may be out there for a long time, waiting for someone to believe, but it never returns void.

This is why the Bible is full of words like faith, hope, and believe. We cannot open the minds of others like Jesus can, but we can do what He asks of us. Love, trust, and wait...the glory is coming.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Wow! That is so inspiring and right on target! I totally relate to the feeling of "when is it going to happen???" and the frustration that can come from trying to "force" transformation to happen on my time-table.
I am encouraged again to just stay faithful to what God has called me to do and let him handle the rest! His timing is perfect and He is able to do exceedingly and abundantly more than I could ever achieve in my human-ness!